PRINCE GEORGE, BC: Ongoing monitoring and testing of staff and residents at Jubilee Lodge in Prince George has identified additional lab-confirmed cases of COVID-19. Since the outbreak was declared on December 12, 38 residents have tested positive for COVID-19, along with seven staff.
Tragically, four Jubilee residents have died since the outbreak began.
“The toll that COVID-19 has had on many of our most cherished, but most vulnerable, members of our communities has been heavy,” said Cathy Ulrich, Northern Health CEO. “Our heartfelt condolences go to residents of Jubilee Lodge and their families as well as to their caregivers; the staff, nurses and physicians who continue to provide excellent and compassionate care during understandably challenging circumstances.”
Northern Health continues to take steps to protect the health of all Jubilee Lodge staff and residents. Outbreaks are typically detected and declared after exposure has taken place, and it is not unexpected that additional cases are identified during the COVID-19 incubation period from outbreak-related cases.
“Increased vigilance and testing during an outbreak often means that we expect to find additional cases of COVID-19,” said Dr. Jong Kim, NH Chief Medical Health Officer. “It also highlights the need to take great care to protect those we know can be most vulnerable to this virus, and I appreciate that Jubilee Lodge staff are doing all they can to support and care for its residents.”
Enhanced outbreak control measures include (but are not limited to):
- Co-locating residents who have tested positive for COVID-19, and controlling staff and resident movement between care areas
- Increased screening for all staff and residents
- Cleaning and infection control measures have been enhanced
- Increased capacity for virtual visits, while in-person social visits are suspended (essential visits continue, with clear COVID-19 prevention measures in place)
Additional supports continue to be implemented at Jubilee Lodge, to ensure safe and consistent care for residents, and to answer questions from resident families and staff. Communication with families of Jubilee Lodge residents is ongoing.
- City installing new crosswalk on Tyner Boulevard at Baker Road… June 11, 2021
- ICBC issues second COVID-19 rebate… June 11, 2021
- Steven MCPHEE wanted on several offences… June 11, 2021