UPDATE 2: Rainfall Warning has since ended. The Fort St. John airport recorded 42.8 mm of rain in 24 hours on Saturday. Dawson Creek airport recorded 31.5 mm of rain.
UPDATE: A Rainfall Warning is in effect for BC North. Accumulation has changed.
For Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope area 60 to 80 mm of rain is expected. For other areas of the Peace Region, 30 to 50 mm is expected.
It is expected that flooding will affect some areas of the BC Peace Region due to the heavy rain and snowpack in the mountains. Please prepare for flooding and stay away from all creek beds and rivers as they could become swollen and overflow their banks. We will continue our coverage on the heavy rain over the weekend.
Environment Canada has issued a Special Weather Statement for the BC Peace Region as heavy rain is in the forecast. This information will change and we will update this story with any new information as it becomes available on Friday.
Environment Canada suggests 40 mm to 60 mm of rain to fall between Friday and Saturday.
Details: A weather system will become stalled over northeastern BC and bring a prolonged period of heavy rain to the region.
Rain will start late Friday afternoon and persist into Saturday night. Regions near the Rockies are expected to receive the highest rainfall amounts. Current guidance indicates total rainfall near 40 up to 60 mm.
Rain at times heavy will ease to a few showers Saturday night.
Heavy rainfall on top of pre-existing saturated soils can exacerbate vulnerable landscapes and enhance the risk of localized flooding.
Click here to view the statement on Environment Canada.
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John January 17, 2023
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, -12.5°C January 30, 2023
- Monday: Mainly cloudy. High minus 10. January 30, 2023
- Monday night: Chance of flurries. Low minus 15. POP 40% January 30, 2023
- Tuesday: Snow. High minus 12. January 30, 2023
- Tuesday night: Snow. Low minus 22. January 30, 2023
- Wednesday: Snow. High minus 22. January 30, 2023
- Wednesday night: Periods of snow. Low minus 24. January 30, 2023
- Thursday: Snow. High minus 14. January 30, 2023
- Thursday night: Chance of flurries. Low minus 13. POP 60% January 30, 2023