UPDATE 2: Rainfall Warning has since ended. The Fort St. John airport recorded 42.8 mm of rain in 24 hours on Saturday. Dawson Creek airport recorded 31.5 mm of rain.
UPDATE: A Rainfall Warning is in effect for BC North. Accumulation has changed.
For Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope area 60 to 80 mm of rain is expected. For other areas of the Peace Region, 30 to 50 mm is expected.
It is expected that flooding will affect some areas of the BC Peace Region due to the heavy rain and snowpack in the mountains. Please prepare for flooding and stay away from all creek beds and rivers as they could become swollen and overflow their banks. We will continue our coverage on the heavy rain over the weekend.
Environment Canada has issued a Special Weather Statement for the BC Peace Region as heavy rain is in the forecast. This information will change and we will update this story with any new information as it becomes available on Friday.
Environment Canada suggests 40 mm to 60 mm of rain to fall between Friday and Saturday.
Details: A weather system will become stalled over northeastern BC and bring a prolonged period of heavy rain to the region.
Rain will start late Friday afternoon and persist into Saturday night. Regions near the Rockies are expected to receive the highest rainfall amounts. Current guidance indicates total rainfall near 40 up to 60 mm.
Rain at times heavy will ease to a few showers Saturday night.
Heavy rainfall on top of pre-existing saturated soils can exacerbate vulnerable landscapes and enhance the risk of localized flooding.
Click here to view the statement on Environment Canada.
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John September 18, 2022
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, 21.7°C September 26, 2022
- Monday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 23. September 26, 2022
- Monday night: Clearing. Low 10. September 26, 2022
- Tuesday: Sunny. High 25. September 26, 2022
- Tuesday night: Clear. Low 8. September 26, 2022
- Wednesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 20. September 26, 2022
- Wednesday night: Cloudy. Low 10. September 26, 2022
- Thursday: Chance of showers. High 21. POP 40% September 26, 2022
- Thursday night: Clear. Low 6. September 26, 2022