PRINCE GEORGE, BC: While other city sport fields and ball diamonds have not quite yet awakened from their winter nap, starting today Masich Place Stadium is up and ready to go for the 2021 season – and it is full of all-new upgrades.
One of the primary reasons for renovating and upgrading Masich Place Stadium was to allow the stadium to open to the public and to user groups earlier in the year and to stay open later in the year than regular, natural turf fields.
Other sport fields are still about three to five weeks away from being open to the public. Natural turf fields and ball diamonds must wait until their turf has dried out sufficiently and their root systems are established before they can see regular use without damaging the field and endangering players.
Part of a multi-year stadium renovation program
The facility’s latest enhancements are part of a multi-year program to refurbish the Stadium, which has already included a new synthetic track surface and synthetic infield, enhanced track and field facilities, improved seating, and a repainted grandstand.
Masich Place Stadium’s latest upgrades include a brand-new 11×16 foot scoreboard with LED display and new sound system –
Masich Place Stadium’s latest upgrades include:
- A brand-new 11×16 foot scoreboard with LED display and new sound system
- New countdown timers
- Enhanced LED field lighting
- Glass railings that allow full visibility from accessible seating areas
- New concrete accessibility ramps at both ends of the bleachers
- Additional accessible and companion seating in the grandstand
- Refurbished concession area with new accessible concession window
- Newly renovated change rooms
- Refitted men’s, women’s, and universal washrooms
- A new score booth with insulation and heating and controls for the score clock, digital display, and sound system
Upcoming events at Masich Place Stadium include the 2021 BC Track and Field Championship Jamboree (tentatively set for July, 2021) and the 2022 BC Summer Games. In fact, the Stadium was built for a previous BC Summer Games in 1990 as a premier track and field venue.
Track open to public
The track will be available for public walking and running from 7:00am to 8:00pm, seven days per week, during the month of April, except when the facility is booked by a user group. The track hours will switch to a 6:00am start beginning in May.
Note: parking lot access to the facility is available off of Massey Drive, while the Griffiths lot remains closed to the public, per the City’s Covid-19 Safety Plan for the facility, which requires limiting access points.
Written and released by City of Prince George
- Two people injured following shooting in Dawson Creek… April 12, 2021
- Police incident on PG Pulpmill Road… April 10, 2021
- RCMP seek assistance in mischief investigation at coffee shop in Williams Lake… April 10, 2021