PRINCE GEORGE, BC: Jennifer Whiteside, Minister of Education, has appointed special advisors to review the governance practices of the Prince George Board of Education.
The advisors are:
- Kory Wilson, executive director, Indigenous initiatives and partnerships at the B.C. Institute of Technology; and
- Catherine McGregor, associate professor and associate dean of graduate programs and research at the University of Victoria’s faculty of education.
The appointments begin immediately, and the advisors’ review is scheduled to be complete on or before June 1, 2021.
Wilson and McGregor have extensive expertise in Indigenous education and relations, as well as educational leadership and effectiveness, which will support their review.
The School Act enables the minister of education to appoint special advisors to review the activities, performance, and/or other matters of a board of education. Government can also replace an entire board with an official trustee.
Under the School Act, special advisors may enter schools and district offices, and can inspect board records. The board and its employees must assist the special advisors in carrying out their duties.
The special advisors will submit bimonthly progress updates to the minister and provide a final report.
At the conclusion of the appointment, the minister will assess the situation and determine next steps.
- City installing new crosswalk on Tyner Boulevard at Baker Road… June 11, 2021
- ICBC issues second COVID-19 rebate… June 11, 2021
- Steven MCPHEE wanted on several offences… June 11, 2021