FORT ST. JOHN, BC: Police are sending out a reminder after a vehicle sank in Charlie Lake this past weekend…
Police say on Sunday November 22, 2020, officers received a report of a submerged pickup truck after the driver attempted to cross Charlie Lake in order to go ice fishing. The ice proved to be to thin, cracking below the vehicle and within minutes was entirely submerged. The driver was safe and did not sustain any injuries.
Anyone attempting to drive on lakes this winter season should ensure a prolonged cold snap has occurred and test the ice thickness prior to recreating on the ice. Larger lakes can take a long time to freeze to a safe thickness of ice across the entire surface of the lake. Safety must be a first priority this winter season.
Click for additional ice safety tips
Click for ice depth comparison chart
- FOG ADVISORY , Fort St. John October 24, 2021
- Current Conditions: Fog, 2.1°C October 24, 2021
- Saturday night: Fog. Low minus 4. October 23, 2021
- Sunday: Fog. High 6. October 23, 2021
- Sunday night: Periods of rain. Low plus 2. October 23, 2021
- Monday: Rain. High 7. October 23, 2021
- Monday night: Chance of showers. Low plus 3. POP 40% October 23, 2021
- Tuesday: Sunny. High 10. October 23, 2021
- Tuesday night: Cloudy periods. Low zero. October 23, 2021
- Wednesday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 6. October 23, 2021