PRINCE GEORGE, BC: Construction started recently to improve and enhance a park in the City’s Gateway area with many amenities aimed at being attractive to seniors. This is the second phase of the Ron Brent Park Redevelopment Project.
In 2018, the City completed the first phase with the construction of a new playground and sport field at Ron Brent Elementary School through a partnership with School District 57. Together, the new school features and the upgrades to the park will provide a neighbourhood destination space for all ages.
The Ron Brent Park redevelopment will include the construction of an age-friendly park with features such as:
- Accessible paved trails with lighting
- Horseshoe pits, seniors fitness equipment, and a storage building
- Paved parking at the Connaught Youth Centre
- Landscaping with irrigated lawn, trees, and site furnishings
- A large garden featuring plants native to the region
The park is located next to Ron Brent School, the Connaught Youth Centre, Riverbend Seniors Manor, and Gateway Lodge between 17th Avenue and 20th Avenue, and Victoria Street and Oak Street.
The redevelopment project was brought about through the subdivision and sale of a 1.8 hectare portion of Ron Brent Park for the Riverbend Seniors housing development, wherein the City committed to improving the remaining 1.3 hectare portion of the park and community area.
The park design was developed with feedback from nearby residents, the elementary school, Connaught Youth Centre, and other stakeholders. The attractive and central site is being developed with a goal to be accessible for people of all mobility levels, and includes exercise equipment for seniors, such as the nearby residents of Riverbend.
Construction is expected to be complete by the end of August.
For further information about City parks, trails, and sport fields please visit www.princegeorge.ca/parks.
Written and released by City of Prince George.
- Significant rainfall for BC North… June 5, 2020
- AccessAbility Week grants support new skills development… June 4, 2020
- Water main connection to Fire Hall No. 1… June 4, 2020