Northern Health (NH) is introducing new public health orders covering the entire Northern Health region to manage COVID-19 activity.
Effective at 12:01 AM Tuesday September 7, 2021:
New NH orders:
- Personal gatherings in your home – one additional family or 5 guests
- Personal gatherings outside your home – maximum 50 people
- Indoor events – have a safety plan (the organizer should have a safety plan, but is not required to submit one for approval)
- Outside events – when more than 200 people, then have a safety plan
- Sporting events with spectators, indoor & outdoor – have a safety plan
Currently in Step 3 of BC restart plan and still in place:
In the Restart step 3 and current PHO order on gatherings and events:
- Indoor events – maximum of 50 people or 50% capacity, whichever is greater
- Outside events – maximum of 5000 people or 50% capacity, whichever is greater
- Outdoor spectator events: 5000 people or 50% capacity
- Indoor spectator event: 50 people or 50% capacity
Not restricted by either NH order or restart step 3/PHO order:
- All indoor fitness classes allowed, normal capacity
- Gyms and recreation facilities, normal capacity
- Restaurants, bars, pubs and nightclubs (except for socialization between tables or dancing)
- worship services or educational activities (K to 12 and post-secondary)
These measures will remain in place until Northern Health experiences lower cases and higher vaccination rates.
“We are seeing a surge of cases throughout the Northern Health region,” said Northern Health president and CEO, Cathy Ulrich. “We continue to strongly encourage all people age 12 and up to get immunized which is their best source of protection.”
Most people are being exposed at personal social gatherings in private households and at private gatherings. The delta variant is leading to faster transmission and more severe outcomes for younger people. Immunization remains the most effective prevention against COVID-19.
“Getting immunized will help keep our hospitals open for treating people with other illnesses,” said Northern Health chief medical health officer Dr. Jong Kim. “These orders are a temporary way to help manage the spread of the virus, and the impact on the health system.”
How to get vaccinated
People can get their first or second dose of a COVID-19 vaccine by dropping in to any NH immunization clinic or by making an appointment.
Released by: Northern Health