With heavy rain in the forecast for most of the BC Peace Region, residents should prepare themselves for the possibility of flooding, particularly in areas where creek beds and rivers flow and all rural areas.
The area could be on a repeat course of 2011 and 2016 where flooding washed out roads, rural roads, and highways in the Dawson Creek, Hudson’s Hope, Chetwynd and the Pine Pass areas. In 2011, the Pine Pass and BC Peace was devastated with flood water that took nearly 2 years to fix all the damage. In 2016, Dawson Creek saw the worst of the flooding that year which damaged many roads and bridges.
Environment Canada is forecasting up to 80 mm of rain in the Chetwynd and Hudson’s Hope area later today and all day Saturday.
Other areas of the Peace Region could receive up to 50 mm or more. It really depends on where the system stalls over the region.
We’ll update when more information is available.
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John January 17, 2023
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, -13.8°C January 30, 2023
- Monday: Chance of flurries. High minus 10. POP 40% January 30, 2023
- Monday night: Chance of flurries. Low minus 15. POP 40% January 30, 2023
- Tuesday: Snow. High minus 13. January 30, 2023
- Tuesday night: Snow. Low minus 22. January 30, 2023
- Wednesday: Snow. High minus 22. January 30, 2023
- Wednesday night: Periods of snow. Low minus 24. January 30, 2023
- Thursday: Snow. High minus 14. January 30, 2023
- Thursday night: Chance of flurries. Low minus 13. POP 60% January 30, 2023