FORT ST. JOHN, BC: The Independent Investigations Office (IIO) of BC is investigating a motor vehicle incident in Fort St. John.
Information reported by the RCMP states that at approximately 7:00 p.m. on March 8, 2022, police received a call concerned for a woman’s wellbeing as she was alleged to be intoxicated and in distress while driving a red Dodge Journey northbound on Highway 97. Officers located the woman at a gas station in the 16900-block of Highway 97 before she drove away heading southbound on Highway 97. It is reported that police briefly attempted to stop the vehicle without success.
A short time later, the Dodge was found to have left the road. Despite life-saving efforts, the woman was pronounced dead at the scene.
The IIO was notified of the incident shortly after it occurred and has commenced an investigation to determine what role, if any, police actions or inactions played in the woman’s death. The BC Coroners Service is also conducting an independent investigation to determine the circumstances of the death.
Released by IIO BC
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John April 29, 2022
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, 18.4°C May 23, 2022
- Monday: Mainly cloudy. High 19. May 23, 2022
- Monday night: Chance of showers. Low 7. POP 40% May 23, 2022
- Tuesday: Chance of showers. High 15. POP 40% May 23, 2022
- Tuesday night: Chance of showers. Low 6. POP 40% May 23, 2022
- Wednesday: Cloudy. High 12. May 23, 2022
- Wednesday night: Clear. Low plus 3. May 23, 2022
- Thursday: Sunny. High 16. May 23, 2022
- Thursday night: Chance of showers. Low 7. POP 30% May 23, 2022