FORT ST. JOHN, BC: Police are sending out a reminder after a vehicle sank in Charlie Lake this past weekend…
Police say on Sunday November 22, 2020, officers received a report of a submerged pickup truck after the driver attempted to cross Charlie Lake in order to go ice fishing. The ice proved to be to thin, cracking below the vehicle and within minutes was entirely submerged. The driver was safe and did not sustain any injuries.
Anyone attempting to drive on lakes this winter season should ensure a prolonged cold snap has occurred and test the ice thickness prior to recreating on the ice. Larger lakes can take a long time to freeze to a safe thickness of ice across the entire surface of the lake. Safety must be a first priority this winter season.
Click for additional ice safety tips
Click for ice depth comparison chart
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John August 23, 2021
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, 16.2°C September 24, 2021
- Friday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 19. September 24, 2021
- Friday night: Partly cloudy. Low 8. September 24, 2021
- Saturday: Mainly sunny. High 17. September 24, 2021
- Saturday night: Cloudy periods. Low 6. September 24, 2021
- Sunday: Periods of rain. High 15. September 24, 2021
- Sunday night: Cloudy periods. Low 8. September 24, 2021
- Monday: Chance of showers. High 14. POP 40% September 24, 2021
- Monday night: Cloudy periods. Low 6. September 24, 2021