Ecoideas Innovations Inc. is recalling Apricot Power brand Bitter Raw Apricot Seeds and Apricot Seed Meal from the marketplace due to natural toxin amygdalin. This toxin may cause acute cyanide poisoning. Consumers should not consume the recalled products described below as they have incorrect dosage information and excessive consumption may cause cyanide poisoning.
Brand Name Common Name Size Code(s) on Product UPC
- Apricot Power Bitter Raw Apricot Seeds 454g EXP 0121 7280284537130
- Apricot Power Bitter Raw Apricot Seeds 226g EXP 0121 7528303370840
- Apricot Power Apricot Seed Meal 191.4 g 0218WF March 2020 7280284536904
What you should do
Check to see if you have recalled product in your home. Recalled products should be thrown out or returned to the store where they were purchased.
Bitter apricot kernels naturally contain a compound called amygdalin, which has the potential to release cyanide when the kernels are ingested. Small amounts of cyanide can be detoxified by the human body, but high amounts may be lethal.
Symptoms of acute exposure to high levels of cyanide may include headache, dizziness, mental confusion, weakness, difficulty breathing, abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, seizures and coma.
Learn more about the health risks
Sign up for recall notifications by email and follow us on social media
View our detailed explanation of the food safety investigation and recall process
This recall was triggered by the company. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency (CFIA) is conducting a food safety investigation, which may lead to the recall of other products. If other high-risk products are recalled, the CFIA will notify the public through updated Food Recall Warnings.
The CFIA is verifying that industry is removing recalled product from the marketplace.
There have been no reported illnesses associated with the consumption of these products.
- Freezing Rain Warning for Prince George, Cariboo, and BC Peace… November 11, 2019
- UPDATE… Be on the lookout for this stolen ’53 Henry J.. November 10, 2019
- Warm Pacific front to bring ice pellets and freezing rain… November 10, 2019