FORT ST. JOHN, BC: Students from various elementary schools in Fort St. John are asking motorists in the Energetic City to slow down and follow the rules of the road…
Cst. Cory DUMONT of the Fort St. John RCMP was aware of a number of different complaints about speeding in various school zones around the city and decided to do something about it.
Cst. DUMONT partnered with the Pomeroy Sport Centre Spring Break Camp to have children create various posters encouraging drivers to slow down and obey ALL signs in school zones for the safety of all students.
Fines for speeding are higher in school zones in efforts to deter speeders from putting the lives of children, parents, and other motorists at risk. When a driver is exceeding the regular speed limit by less than 21 km a violation ticket can be issued for $138 but in a school zone that fine is $196.
When a driver is exceeding the regular speed limit by 21 to 40 km/h a violation ticket can be issued for $196 but in a school zone it is $253.
Another big issue for students and parents walking to and from school is the ability to cross safely at crosswalks. Drivers are often in a hurry and don’t want to stop for children or don’t see them because they may be driving too fast. Traffic fines for Failing to Yield to a Pedestrian can be issued for $167.
Cst. Dumont and the students of Fort St. John want to remind drivers to take extra care when getting back into the school routine. Tragedies on our roads can be prevented by slowing down in school zones, watching for all children and ensuring you yield to them in order for them to get to school and home safely.
Written and released by Fort St. John RCMP with edits by PJXM News.
- Investigators seeking victims of alleged sexual offender… December 13, 2019
- Two men arrested following B&E and suspicious fire… December 13, 2019
- Police in Quesnel have Zero tolerance for failing to stop for school buses… December 12, 2019
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John December 7, 2019
- Current Conditions: Ice Crystals, -19.7°C December 14, 2019
- Saturday: Fog dissipating. High minus 16. December 14, 2019
- Saturday night: Partly cloudy. Low minus 19. December 14, 2019
- Sunday: Clearing. High minus 16. December 14, 2019
- Sunday night: Clear. Low minus 17. December 14, 2019
- Monday: Sunny. High minus 5. December 14, 2019
- Monday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 4. December 14, 2019
- Tuesday: Cloudy. High minus 3. December 14, 2019
- Tuesday night: Snow. Low minus 12. December 14, 2019