FORT ST. JOHN, BC: Students from various elementary schools in Fort St. John are asking motorists in the Energetic City to slow down and follow the rules of the road…
Cst. Cory DUMONT of the Fort St. John RCMP was aware of a number of different complaints about speeding in various school zones around the city and decided to do something about it.
Cst. DUMONT partnered with the Pomeroy Sport Centre Spring Break Camp to have children create various posters encouraging drivers to slow down and obey ALL signs in school zones for the safety of all students.
Fines for speeding are higher in school zones in efforts to deter speeders from putting the lives of children, parents, and other motorists at risk. When a driver is exceeding the regular speed limit by less than 21 km a violation ticket can be issued for $138 but in a school zone that fine is $196.
When a driver is exceeding the regular speed limit by 21 to 40 km/h a violation ticket can be issued for $196 but in a school zone it is $253.
Another big issue for students and parents walking to and from school is the ability to cross safely at crosswalks. Drivers are often in a hurry and don’t want to stop for children or don’t see them because they may be driving too fast. Traffic fines for Failing to Yield to a Pedestrian can be issued for $167.
Cst. Dumont and the students of Fort St. John want to remind drivers to take extra care when getting back into the school routine. Tragedies on our roads can be prevented by slowing down in school zones, watching for all children and ensuring you yield to them in order for them to get to school and home safely.
Written and released by Fort St. John RCMP with edits by PJXM News.
- Have you seen Sarah FOORD?.. July 11, 2020
- Key Dawson Creek crossing replaced with new bridge… July 11, 2020
- Minister’s statement on June Labour Force Survey results… July 10, 2020
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John July 8, 2020
- Current Conditions: 10.8°C July 12, 2020
- Saturday night: Chance of showers. Low 10. POP 40% July 11, 2020
- Sunday: Chance of showers. High 16. POP 60% July 11, 2020
- Sunday night: Chance of showers. Low 10. POP 60% July 11, 2020
- Monday: A mix of sun and cloud. High 19. July 11, 2020
- Monday night: Clear. Low 10. July 11, 2020
- Tuesday: Sunny. High 22. July 11, 2020
- Tuesday night: Cloudy periods. Low 12. July 11, 2020
- Wednesday: Cloudy. High 19. July 11, 2020