FORT ST. JOHN, BC: Students from various elementary schools in Fort St. John are asking motorists in the Energetic City to slow down and follow the rules of the road…
Cst. Cory DUMONT of the Fort St. John RCMP was aware of a number of different complaints about speeding in various school zones around the city and decided to do something about it.
Cst. DUMONT partnered with the Pomeroy Sport Centre Spring Break Camp to have children create various posters encouraging drivers to slow down and obey ALL signs in school zones for the safety of all students.
Fines for speeding are higher in school zones in efforts to deter speeders from putting the lives of children, parents, and other motorists at risk. When a driver is exceeding the regular speed limit by less than 21 km a violation ticket can be issued for $138 but in a school zone that fine is $196.
When a driver is exceeding the regular speed limit by 21 to 40 km/h a violation ticket can be issued for $196 but in a school zone it is $253.
Another big issue for students and parents walking to and from school is the ability to cross safely at crosswalks. Drivers are often in a hurry and don’t want to stop for children or don’t see them because they may be driving too fast. Traffic fines for Failing to Yield to a Pedestrian can be issued for $167.
Cst. Dumont and the students of Fort St. John want to remind drivers to take extra care when getting back into the school routine. Tragedies on our roads can be prevented by slowing down in school zones, watching for all children and ensuring you yield to them in order for them to get to school and home safely.
Written and released by Fort St. John RCMP with edits by PJXM News.
- Windy conditions could increase fire risk in BC Peace… April 18, 2019
- Unsafe vehicles targeted by Police… April 18, 2019
- Faster, better access to team-based primary care coming to Prince George… April 17, 2019
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John March 31, 2019
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, 9.0°C April 22, 2019
- Sunday night: A few clouds. Low plus 2. April 21, 2019
- Monday: Rain. High 14. April 21, 2019
- Monday night: Clearing. Low plus 1. April 21, 2019
- Tuesday: Sunny. High 11. April 21, 2019
- Tuesday night: Clear. Low minus 1. April 21, 2019
- Wednesday: Sunny. High 6. April 21, 2019
- Wednesday night: Clear. Low minus 4. April 21, 2019
- Thursday: Sunny. High 7. April 21, 2019