100 MILE HOUSE, BC: A second case of measles infection has been confirmed in the Interior Health region, in 100 Mile House.
Interior Health medical health officers have determined that this infection is connected to a previous
case of measles in 100 Mile House, confirmed on March 9, 2019. Both cases are connected to outbreaks outside of the province and are not linked to cases on the B.C. coast. These are the only confirmed cases of measles in Interior Health at this time.
Interior Health is monitoring and following up with individuals who may have been in contact with the patient to determine immunization status and, if necessary, offering the post-exposure protection. The risk to the broader public is considered low.
If you were at the following location during this time, you may have been exposed to measles.
- Wednesday, March 13, 2019 – Interlakes Market, 100 Mile House, 6:30 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Please contact your community health centre to speak with a public health nurse who will review
your vaccine history, determine your immunity to measles, and arrange for vaccinations if needed.
Measles vaccinations are available in 100 Mile House and Williams Lake through the following drop-in
South Cariboo Health Centre in 100 Mile House:
- Daily from March 25 to 29
- 9 a.m. to noon and 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Williams Lake Health Centre:
- Monday, March 25- 9 a.m. to noon
- Tuesday, March 26- 9 a.m. to noon and 1- 4 p.m.
- Wednesday, March 27- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Thursday, March 28- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
- Friday, March 29- 9 a.m. to noon and 1- 4 p.m.
Anyone who is concerned about exposure to measles should watch for symptoms of measles.
Symptoms include fever, cough, runny nose, and red and inflamed eyes.
These are followed by a rash,
which starts first on the face and neck, spreads to the chest, arms and legs, and lasts for at least three
Please call ahead to your doctor’s office or the hospital if you think you may have been exposed to measles and have developed symptoms. This will allow the office or hospital to make a plan to prevent other people from potential exposure.
Written and released by Interior Health.
- Human remains found near Prince George… June 26, 2019
- Police investigating theft of mountain bike… June 26, 2019
- Police seize malnourished dog; Home owner Medevac to hospital… June 25, 2019