FORT ST. JOHN, BC: The Fort St. John RCMP wish to remind drivers to slow down for the current winter driving conditions…
With snow clearing taking place on some of the streets and avenues, conditions can improve immensely but they can also become more slippery, depending on a variety of factors.
Recently, the Fort St. John RCMP attended a motor vehicle collision between two vehicles at a high use intersection and even before clearing the scene another collision occurred between two more vehicles.
Road conditions may be contributing factors but drivers can still be ticketed for Speed Relative to Conditions for a fine of $167.00 (Sec. 144(1)(c) Motor Vehicle Act) as they did not slow down enough to maintain control as they approached the intersection.
“The known or posted speed signs don’t change on our roads,” said Cst NEUSTAETER, “But conditions do.”
A person must not drive at a speed that is excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility or weather conditions.
Drivers need to also be aware of where pedestrians may interact with traffic such as crosswalks and when pedestrians enter the roadway to get into their vehicles. The road can be uneven and slippery for pedestrians. Drivers who slow down have more time to react if the pedestrian slips or falls.
Drivers are responsible for driving at a reasonable speed that protects them from sliding through intersections, causing a collision with another vehicle or person. These collisions are preventable when drivers slow down and drive relative to conditions.
Written and released by Fort St. John RCMP.
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John March 31, 2019
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, 5.6°C April 18, 2019
- Thursday: Chance of showers. High 15. POP 30% April 18, 2019
- Thursday night: Partly cloudy. Low plus 1. April 18, 2019
- Friday: Mainly sunny. High 10. April 18, 2019
- Friday night: Chance of showers. Low minus 3. POP 30% April 18, 2019
- Saturday: Sunny. High 7. April 18, 2019
- Saturday night: Clear. Low minus 3. April 18, 2019
- Sunday: Sunny. High 14. April 18, 2019
- Sunday night: Clear. Low zero. April 18, 2019