FORT ST. JOHN, BC: The Fort St. John RCMP wish to remind drivers to slow down for the current winter driving conditions…
With snow clearing taking place on some of the streets and avenues, conditions can improve immensely but they can also become more slippery, depending on a variety of factors.
Recently, the Fort St. John RCMP attended a motor vehicle collision between two vehicles at a high use intersection and even before clearing the scene another collision occurred between two more vehicles.
Road conditions may be contributing factors but drivers can still be ticketed for Speed Relative to Conditions for a fine of $167.00 (Sec. 144(1)(c) Motor Vehicle Act) as they did not slow down enough to maintain control as they approached the intersection.
“The known or posted speed signs don’t change on our roads,” said Cst NEUSTAETER, “But conditions do.”
A person must not drive at a speed that is excessive relative to the road, traffic, visibility or weather conditions.
Drivers need to also be aware of where pedestrians may interact with traffic such as crosswalks and when pedestrians enter the roadway to get into their vehicles. The road can be uneven and slippery for pedestrians. Drivers who slow down have more time to react if the pedestrian slips or falls.
Drivers are responsible for driving at a reasonable speed that protects them from sliding through intersections, causing a collision with another vehicle or person. These collisions are preventable when drivers slow down and drive relative to conditions.
Written and released by Fort St. John RCMP.
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John February 13, 2019
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, -6.7°C February 19, 2019
- Tuesday: Chance of flurries. High minus 3. POP 40% February 19, 2019
- Tuesday night: Periods of snow. Low minus 11. February 19, 2019
- Wednesday: Periods of snow. Temperature steady near minus 10. February 19, 2019
- Wednesday night: Clear. Low minus 19. February 19, 2019
- Thursday: Sunny. High minus 7. February 19, 2019
- Thursday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 15. February 19, 2019
- Friday: Periods of snow. High minus 8. February 19, 2019
- Friday night: Periods of snow. Low minus 15. February 19, 2019