TERRACE, BC: If you don’t lock your car this weekend, you could be receiving some paperwork.
This Sunday, Dec. 2, 2018, Terrace RCMP and its Auxiliaries will be hitting store parking lots in search of unlocked vehicles, particularly those with valuables inside, as part of a Lock Out Auto Crime initiative.
Lock Out Auto Crime is an educational program supported by ICBC to draw attention to the high rate of thefts from vehicles. Volunteers audit parking lots looking for vehicles with visible valuables, garage door openers, open windows or doors that are left unlocked.
All vehicles are given a crime prevention notice (which is left on the windshield), either thanking owners for securing their vehicle properly, or providing auto crime prevention tips.
“We all have a role to play in keeping our belongings safe,” said Cst. Crystal Evelyn, Terrace RCMP’s Community Liaison and Crime Prevention Officer. “Taking the time to lock vehicle doors and ensure valuables are out of sight can save you a lot of time and heartache down the road.”
10 Tips to Avoid Auto Crime:
1. Keep your spare keys in your wallet, not in your car.
2. Invest in a good anti-theft device.
3. Close windows and lock doors. Take your possessions with you.
4. Avoid parking behind fences or hedges.
5. At home, light your driveway all night. Elsewhere, park in well lit areas near pedestrian traffic.
6. After opening an automatic gate to underground parking, watch out for thieves waiting to slip inside.
7. Wait for the gate to close behind you.
8. Engrave your stereo and other onboard valuables with your driver’s license number.
9. Install an anti-theft device to protect your stereo or buy a unit that is removable and take it with you when you park.
10. If you see any suspicious person or activity near a vehicle, call the police immediately.
If you have information about crime contact the Terrace RCMP at (250)638-7400 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers by telephone at 1-800-222-TIPS or online at http://www.terracecrimestoppers.ca
Written and released by Terrace RCMP.
- Second measles case in 100 Mile… March 24, 2019
- Three arrested during High-Risk incident in Quesnel… March 24, 2019
- BC Search and Rescue societies receive funding… March 23, 2019