TERRACE, BC: If the message wasn’t clear before, there was no mistaking it after the May Long weekend: irresponsible and disruptive behaviour won’t be tolerated at Terrace recreation sites.
“Numerous people left local campgrounds with eviction orders and violation tickets following a joint enforcement initiative between the Terrace RCMP, BC Conservation Service and Kitimat RCMP Victoria Day Long Weekend, May 17-21”, said Terrace RCMP Staff Sergeant Michael Robinson.
“The joint-enforcement initiative primarily focused on the Lakelse Lake Furlong Bay Campground, as well as recreation sites in the West Kalum Forest Service Road area. As a result, multiple evictions occurred, liquor-related violation tickets were issued, and joint patrols were conducted on the waterways targeting a variety of Provincial and Federal statutes, including impaired boating,” said S/Sgt. Robinson.
Enforcement Stats from May Long:
- Prisoners lodged: 7
- Eviction Orders issued: 7 (Individuals and entire camp sites)
- Liquor Act Violation Tickets: 24 and 8 warnings
- Motor Vehicle Act Tickets: 3
- Canada Shipping Act Tickets: 2 and 27 warnings (no life jacket, safety equipment)
- Firearm Act Tickets: 1 (loaded firearm in vehicle)
- Offroad Vehicle Act: 13 warnings (helmets, safety equipment)
- Wildlife Act Tickets: 6 (hunt without licence, unlawful possession of wildlife, fail to stop for officer, fishing licensing), 2 warnings (no fishing licence)
- Environmental Management Act: 2 warning (open burning)
- Federal Fisheries Act: 1 VT (unlawful retention of fish)
- Controlled Drugs and Substances Act: 1 seizure with no charges pending
- Prohibited driver: 1 active investigation with an Arrest and Report to Crown Counsel pending
If you have information about crime whereabouts, please contact the Terrace RCMP at (250)638-7400 or anonymously through Crime Stoppers by telephone at 1-800-222-TIPS, online at www.terracecrimestoppers.ca or by texting keyword TERRACE followed by your message to 274637 (CRIMES).