FORT ST. JOHN, BC: The City of Fort St. John and Tourism Fort St. John are partnering on a pilot project aimed to attract more tourists to the city…
Phase one of the project includes the hiring of a Moose Whisperer, with the key responsibility of attracting moose to local parks. Additionally, moose feeding stations will be installed in City parks over the next few weeks; allowing residents and tourists alike the ability to interact with the animals in a completely unique way.
“This is a great opportunity to showcase our natural beauty while attracting more tourists and adding to the local economy,” stated Mike Whalley, Chair of the Tourism Fort St. John Board. “I mean who wouldn’t want to get up close and feed a moose,” he continued.
Ray Avanthay, Parks Manager stated, “We hope citizens welcome the moose into our parks and begin to think of them as part of our community. By introducing moose into our City Parks, we are able to reallocate our arborist duties allowing them to plant additional trees in other parks.”
If you are interested in viewing the complete job description or applying for the position please visit fortstjohn.ca/moose-whisperer
Mayor Lori Ackerman stated, “We are really excited by this partnership and the benefit to the community will be astronomical. Internationally, ungulate admirers seek these opportunities and plan their vacations
around the opportunity for safe interactions with these majestic animals.”
Written and released by City of Fort St. John.
– Please take this as April Fools silliness and that in no way should you attempt to get near and feed wildlife at any time. – PJXM News, BC Conservation, the BC RCMP and the City of Fort St. John.
- Armed Robbery suspect caught… May 22, 2019
- Full Category 2 fire ban takes affect Thursday… May 22, 2019
- More than 20,000 new homes underway for people throughout B.C. May 22, 2019
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John March 31, 2019
- Current Conditions: Mostly Cloudy, 13.6°C May 23, 2019
- Wednesday night: Chance of showers. Low 8. POP 30% May 22, 2019
- Thursday: Chance of showers. High 22. POP 40% May 22, 2019
- Thursday night: Chance of showers. Low 8. POP 40% May 22, 2019
- Friday: Sunny. High 22. May 22, 2019
- Friday night: Clear. Low 8. May 22, 2019
- Saturday: Sunny. High 18. May 22, 2019
- Saturday night: Clear. Low plus 5. May 22, 2019
- Sunday: Sunny. High 24. May 22, 2019