FORT ST. JOHN, BC: The City of Fort St. John and Tourism Fort St. John are partnering on a pilot project aimed to attract more tourists to the city…
Phase one of the project includes the hiring of a Moose Whisperer, with the key responsibility of attracting moose to local parks. Additionally, moose feeding stations will be installed in City parks over the next few weeks; allowing residents and tourists alike the ability to interact with the animals in a completely unique way.
“This is a great opportunity to showcase our natural beauty while attracting more tourists and adding to the local economy,” stated Mike Whalley, Chair of the Tourism Fort St. John Board. “I mean who wouldn’t want to get up close and feed a moose,” he continued.
Ray Avanthay, Parks Manager stated, “We hope citizens welcome the moose into our parks and begin to think of them as part of our community. By introducing moose into our City Parks, we are able to reallocate our arborist duties allowing them to plant additional trees in other parks.”
If you are interested in viewing the complete job description or applying for the position please visit fortstjohn.ca/moose-whisperer
Mayor Lori Ackerman stated, “We are really excited by this partnership and the benefit to the community will be astronomical. Internationally, ungulate admirers seek these opportunities and plan their vacations
around the opportunity for safe interactions with these majestic animals.”
Written and released by City of Fort St. John.
– Please take this as April Fools silliness and that in no way should you attempt to get near and feed wildlife at any time. – PJXM News, BC Conservation, the BC RCMP and the City of Fort St. John.
- Fentanyl and Cocaine seized during latest drug bust on the Hart… February 15, 2019
- Officers stop to help local mom stranded with two kids… February 15, 2019
- UPDATED.. Police continue to investigate kidnapping incident in Kamloops… February 15, 2019
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John February 13, 2019
- Current Conditions: Light Snow, -19.2°C February 17, 2019
- Saturday night: A few flurries. Low minus 24. February 16, 2019
- Sunday: Sunny. High minus 17. February 16, 2019
- Sunday night: Clear. Low minus 21. February 16, 2019
- Monday: Sunny. High minus 12. February 16, 2019
- Monday night: Clear. Low minus 15. February 16, 2019
- Tuesday: Cloudy. High minus 6. February 16, 2019
- Tuesday night: Cloudy. Low minus 11. February 16, 2019
- Wednesday: Cloudy. High minus 10. February 16, 2019