FORT ST. JOHN, BC: The Fort St. John RCMP has recently learned from the BC Integrated Child Exploitation unit (BC ICE) that several local teens may have been victims of extortion where they provided intimate photos of themselves to a person posing as a friend online…
At this time investigators believe that there may be more victims that have not yet come forward. Parents are asked to speak with their school age children to find out if they have either recently shared intimate photos with someone on the internet, though their personal cell phones, or if they have been approached to do so, and if so, to contact the police. Investigative efforts to identify the person responsible are continuing.
“We can never be too internet safe. As parents, we need to always know what our children are doing on all of their electronic devices. We would encourage all parents to speak to their children about these incidents to help educate them about the dangers of sharing photos online,” says Sergeant Dave Tyreman.
Police want everyone to know that possession or circulation by anyone, of intimate pictures of anyone under the age of eighteen is considered a criminal offence related to child pornography, criminal harassment or even luring a child.
For more information and safety tips regarding sextortion please visit the BC RCMP website at:
If you have any recent information regarding these incidents please contact the Fort St. John RCMP at 250-787-7100.
Written and Released by Fort St. John RCMP. No edits.
- Police asking for help to locate two missing people… January 16, 2019
- Police investigating incident involving Shots Fired and Forcible Entry.. January 16, 2019
- Homicide investigation underway in Prince George… January 16, 2019
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John January 13, 2019
- Current Conditions: Light Snow, -19.2°C January 16, 2019
- Wednesday: Periods of snow. Temperature falling to minus 20 this afternoon. January 16, 2019
- Wednesday night: Periods of snow. Low minus 22. January 16, 2019
- Thursday: Periods of light snow. High minus 19. POP 40% January 16, 2019
- Thursday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 22. January 16, 2019
- Friday: Chance of flurries. High minus 18. POP 60% January 16, 2019
- Friday night: Cloudy. Low minus 18. January 16, 2019
- Saturday: Snow. High minus 15. January 16, 2019
- Saturday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 14. January 16, 2019