Prince George, BC: The BC Coroners Service has confirmed the identities of five men who died in an avalanche near McBride on Friday afternoon…
All five men were from Alberta, and ranged in age from 41 to 55 years-old.
- Vincent Eugene Loewen, aged 52, of Vegreville, Alberta.
- Tony Christopher Greenwood, aged 41, of Grande Prairie County, Alberta.
- Ricky Robinson, aged 55, of Spruce Grove, Alberta.
- Todd William Chisholm, aged 47, of St. Albert, Alberta.
- John Harold Garley, aged 49, of Stony Plain, Alberta.
The five were among 17 persons who were snowmobiling in four separate groups in the Renshaw area, a large mapped area of snowmobile trails about 20 km east of McBride when, about 1:30 PM they were caught in a large avalanche that hit the area. All five were deceased on scene.
The BC Coroners Service and RCMP continue to investigate these deaths. The Coroners Service has ordered the Renshaw snowmobiling area closed until a certified avalanche technician retained by the service has completed an investigation of the scene.