Grande Prairie, AB: The Grande Prairie RCMP continue to investigate the report of a unknown man who is believed to have impersonated a police officer and attempted to conduct a traffic stop on Highway 2 on Webster Road…
The incident occurred on Thursday, January 7th, 2016, at approximately 11:30 PM, when a man driving an unmarked vehicle activated what is believed to have been some form of emergency lights and a siren.
The female complainant pulled her vehicle over to the side of the road and was approached by a man who was not wearing a uniform. He requested that the woman step out of her vehicle.
The woman drove off unharmed after the man failed to identify himself. Police are releasing a composite sketch of the suspect in the hope that someone may be able to recognize the suspect.
Further descriptors of the suspect include:
• Caucasian male
• 5’8 (173 cm) in height
• Average build
• Shoulder-length dark hair
• 3 day beard and bushy eyebrows
• Well-kept teeth
The man is believed to be driving a light coloured SUV with square head lights and emergency light bars on the roof and front bumper of the vehicle.
RCMP urge the public to remain vigilant and report any suspicious interactions to police.
If anyone should find themselves in a similar situation during a traffic stop, and has concerns about the whether an unmarked vehicle is indeed a police vehicle, they are advised to do the following:
- Pull over only when it is safe to do so and in a well-lit public area
- Stay in your locked vehicle
- Request police identification from the person
- Inform the person that you will comply with any requests upon the attendance of a marked police vehicle and uniformed police officer
- Call 911 and request the attendance of a marked police vehicle
- Attempt to make note of descriptions of the individual and the unmarked vehicle they are driving
If you have information which you believe may assist police in their investigation, please call the Grande Prairie RCMP at (780) 830-5701. Should you wish to remain anonymous, you can contact Crime Stoppers by phone at 1.800.222.8477.
Written and released by: Grande Prairie RCMP.