Fort St. John, BC: The North District RCMP has released information on three arrests made Wednesday morning at a Site C protest near Fort St. John…
Just after 10 AM, officers were called to a report of protesters blocking the roadway that provides access to the Site C project.
Upon RCMP arrival, officers located a man and a woman with their backs to a pickup truck, blocking it and other vehicles from entering the private work site.
Both parties were requested by police to move to the side of the road. When the man refused, he was advised by police that he was committing a criminal offence by not moving and advised to move to the side of the road.
The man still refused and was arrested for mischief, advised of his rights, and escorted to the Fort St. John Detachment to prevent any further confrontations. The female was escorted to the side of the roadway by one of the attending protestors.
At the noon hour, police received a second call that more protestors were blocking the roadway and attendance was required.
Officers attended and issued ample warning to all protestors that they were free to move to the side of the road to continue their lawful and peaceful protest.
Two more protesters failed to comply with police orders and were arrested. The two were taken to the Fort St. John Detachment for processing.
Detachment Commander Insp. Mike Kurvers states,
RCMP respects the right to democratic and lawful protest and even facilitates that right, while protecting any members of the public who may be attending events related to this dispute.
In this case, we are enforcing the criminal code and are investigating any and all complaints and where sufficient evidence exists to support criminal charges, information will be forwarded to Crown Counsel for consideration of charge approval.
- No watches or warnings in effect, Fort St. John January 18, 2022
- Current Conditions: Mainly Sunny, 5.3°C January 25, 2022
- Tuesday: Clearing. High plus 5. January 25, 2022
- Tuesday night: A few clouds. Low minus 1. January 25, 2022
- Wednesday: Mainly sunny. Temperature steady near minus 2. January 25, 2022
- Wednesday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 5. January 25, 2022
- Thursday: Sunny. High minus 3. January 25, 2022
- Thursday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 3. January 25, 2022
- Friday: A mix of sun and cloud. High plus 3. January 25, 2022
- Friday night: Cloudy periods. Low minus 3. January 25, 2022